1. The Functions of Wedge and shims
Wedge is a kind of manual tools that uses manpower to impact the metal wedge into holes on stone, thereby split stone. It is mainly used in splitting cracked stone and arch stone which by utilizing a wedge set can be separated into smaller or standard stone blocks. Wedge can also trim relative large and irregular stone blocks.
2. The Characteristics of Wedge and shims
1. ) Mainly rely on manpower, therefore labor intensive, and have difficult working conditions.
2. ) Suitable for exposed ore, cranny-upgrowth efflorescence ore belt, particularly for naturally formed multi-free surfaces ores, and arch stones with one or two surfaces connected with original rock. Hence, wedge is a very effective and labor-saving tool, especially for mines applying small size of quarrying stone blocks.
3. ) Suitable for mining where lack of power, water supply.
4. ) Suitable for quarrying layered ores which are either horizontal or gently inclined, have layer depth around 1.5m.
5. ) Can apply desegregation and separation of large stone blocks quarried through other methods.
6. ) It is easy to handle with and maintains its value in mines of which have better rock fracturing performance and low mechanical level. However, the workload of leveling stone blocks is high which affect the finish rate.
3. Wedge and Shim Set
Generally speaking, 3 sets of wedge and shim are required for per foot of length of stone. The depth of drilled hole depends on the length of wedge. The following are types of wedge and shim sets.
Hand splitter, it's also called wedge and shims, plug and feathers. We can design the length and hole size and shape as customers' requirement.